20120426

FreeNX and X2Go in Ubuntu 12.04

So FreeNX finally has a repository for Ubuntu Precise Pangolin.  I've been working on and off it for the past couple of weeks to get it working, but it's not perfect.

For the installation, I'd have to download some esound-client and other deb files from Debian's repository.  Apt-Get would tell you what deb files you would need to look for to get the installation going.

For connection, the standard Gnome desktop worked the best, but for some reason the bottom Task Bar panel is missing.

Printing and File Sharing isn't working yet.  It looks like I'll have to go hunting in the log files to see what's not working.

I've also tested X2Go in Precise.  This is easy, except for the file sharing and printing.  Printing is a one-off thing.  At first it looks like it's working.  On my next connection, it just stops behaving.  X2Go also has a difficult user interface, it hurts to use...

Update:  It looks like the "missing" taskbar was due to a window resizing issue.  If I maximize the NX window, the taskbar is there after all.


2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    What Desktop Environment do you use ? is it unity-2d ?
    What command do you use to connect to it ?

    Thank you,
    Vasilica Petcu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For X2Go, I use gnome-session-fallback.

      For NX, I just use gnome. The freeNX server from 12.04 repository uses gnome-session-fallback by default.

      Of course, this would mean having to do "sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback"

      Delete