20110201

Autodesk Inventor 2009 in MS Windows 7 Professional

When our company bought a 1 year subscription for Autodesk Inventor back in 2007, we got Inventor 2008 installed on a Windows XP Home desktop. Before our subscription ended, we got an upgrade copy of Inventor 2009. We didn't upgrade immediately however, as I wanted to run it in 64-bit mode with at least 8 GB of RAM. I wanted that it be worth the upgrade. I avoided Vista and waited for Windows 7 instead.

Unfortunately, Windows 7 is not supported by Autodesk for Inventor 2009. After all, Autodesk would want users to continue upgrading to the 2010 version. Whenever Microsoft gets a new Windows version out, you'll need the newest Autodesk version to get sure compatibility.

I tried googling for information on any compatibility issues between Inventor 2009 and Windows 7, but there weren't a lot of data to point towards clear affirmative or negative. The mantra was, run 2010 for Windows 7.

Nevertheless, I pushed through with a purchase of a quad-core with 8GB RAM. (Not that the "quad-" matters as much as the MIPS of the CPU to Inventor 2009.) Installation was not difficult. I applied all the updates for Windows 7 before I installed Inventor. After Inventor and Mechanical, I applied all their service packs. After a day, however, every time I ran Inventor, Windows 7 reported that it has crashed. I think I might have somehow messed up on some SQL settings.

Ok, let's try again. The second time around, I did the same steps. Only this time, I avoided running any database related shortcut like the plague. So far so good. We've been able to move from our 2008 files to 2009, and I haven't heard of any problems since.

No comments:

Post a Comment